- Applied cryptography
- Data security and privacy
- Multimedia security
- Mobile, wireless and sensor network security
- Trusted computing and system security
Honors and Awards
- KRDL Achievement Award, Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore, June 1998
- KRDL Excellence Award, Kent Ridge Digital Labs, Singapore, March 1999
- University Outstanding Researcher, National University of Singapore, 1999
- Lee Kuan Yew Fellow for Research Excellence, Singapore Management University, 2006
- Asia-Pacific Information Security Leadership Achievements (ISLA) Community Service Star and Showcased Senior Information Security Professional, International Information Systems Security Certification Consortium ((ISC)2), 2010
- Distinguished Paper Award, the 19th Annual Network & Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS 2012), USA, 2012
- Best Paper Award, the 13th Joint IFIP TC6 & TC11 Conference on Communications and Multimedia Security (CMS 2012), UK, 2012
Recent Professional Activities
- Associate Editor, IEEE Security & Privacy Maganize (2016-now), IEEE
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing (2012-2016), IEEE
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Security and Privacy of Electronic Health Information Systems, International Journal of Information Security, Vol. 14, No. 6, November 2015
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Information Security (2013-2015), Springer
- Editorial Board, International Journal of Multimedia Intelligence and Security (2009-now),Inderscience
- Guest Editor, Special Issues on Trust in Cyber, Physical and Social Computing, Computer & Security, Vol. 47, November, 2014
- Guest Editor, Special Issue on Cryptography in Cloud Computing, Future Generation Computer Systems, Vol. 30, January 2014
- Editorial Board Member, Special Issue on Security and Privacy in Complex Systems, IEEE Systems Journal, Vol. 7, No. 3, September 2013
- Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security (2009-2012), IEEE
- Associate Editor, Security and Communication Networks (2007-2013), Wiley
- Information Security Area Editor, Journal of Computer Science and Technology (2006-), Science Press, China and Springer
- Chair of Steering Committee, ACM Asia Conference on Computer and Communications Security (AsiaCCS) (2013-now)
Recent Invited Talks and Keynotes
- Keynote, "Achieving end-to-end security in mobile computing ",
the 21st ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies (SACMAT 2016), 6th-8th June, 2016, Shanghai.
- Keynote, "Flexible and scalable search and sharing of encrypted data in the cloud",
the 7th International Conference on Trusted Systems (Intrust 2015), 7th-8th December, 2015, Beijing.
- Keynote, "Efficient and privacy-preserved sharing of encrypted data in the cloud",
the 14th IEEE International Conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (IEEE Trustcom 201515),
20-22 August, 2015. Helsinki, Finland.
- Distinguished Lecture, "Protecting security and privacy of outsourced data in the cloud",
the Croucher Foundation Advanced Study Institute – Information Security and Privacy in Social Networks and Cloud Computing,
2-4 December 2014, Hong Kong.
- Invited talk, "Towards secure and usable user authentication in e-banking and e-payment",
2014 Huawei Strategy and Technology Workshop, 13-15 May 2014, Shenzhen, China.
- Keynote speech, "RFID security & privacy –recent developments & challenges ",
the 2013 Workshop on RFID and IoT Security (RFIDsec 2013 Asia), 27 November 2013, Guangzhou, China.
- Keynote speech, "Access Control of Encrypted Data in Untrusted Servers ",
the 4th International Symposium on Cyberspace Safety and Security (CSS 2012),
12-13 December 2012, Melbourne, Australia.
- Keynote speech, "Detecting Node Clones in Wireless Sensor Networks ",
the 6th International ICST Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks(SecureComm 2010),
7-9 September 2010, Singapore.
- Keynote speech, "RFID privacy models and a minimal condition",
the 5th China International Conference on Information Security and Cryptology (INSCRYPT 2009),
12-15 December 2009, Beijing, China.
- Keynote speech, "Scalable end-to-end multimedia content authentication techniques",
2009 International Conference on Multimedia Information NEtworking and Security (MINES 2009),
18-20 November 2009, Wuhan, China.
- Keynote speech, "The future of password",
the 19th Cryptology and Information Security Conference,
4-5 June, 2009, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Keynote speech, "Scalable authentication techniques compatible with modern multimedia coding standards",
the 4th Information Security Practice and Experience Conference (ISPEC2008),
21-23 April, 2008, Sydney, Australia.